Sunday, June 10, 2007

Check This Out, and Share Your Outlook


I found this article on a link from one of my favorite music sites, www.okayplayer.com. I have mixed emotions about the sincerity of this program. Check it out, and please leave your thoughts.

I'll give my thoughts after I get some sleep.


Sharpton wants to bury hip-hop lyrics

AP

June 4, 2007

Detroit -- - Rev. Al Sharpton has brought his campaign to clean up hip-hop lyrics to Motown, and organizers hope to collect thousands of bars of soap as symbols of the effort. Sharpton said it made sense to promote the hip-hop campaign in Detroit because NAACP leaders plan to conduct a mock funeral for the "N" word during the group's July convention.

"The 1960s were the Motown sound and James Brown. But they did not call us the 'N' word and they did not degrade women." The bars of soap will be donated to shelters and halfway houses for women, organizers said.

Reference URL: www.theglobeandmail.com

10 comments:

Rich Fitzgerald said...

I didn't read the article, but my first response is that The Good Reverend Dr. Al is always looking for a way to stay in the media eye.

Oh, before I forget. What's up Ced. I'm not writing posts these days, but I still do drive by's.

Unknown said...

LOL! Whaddup, Killa Rich! Doing drive-by moves now, eh? I agree that Mr. Sharpton has a bad habit of doing whatever he can to get himself in the spotlight. Do I agree that rap music is filled with lots of profanity and misogynistic themes? Sure. Is drug sales the most pervading lyrical thought in much of the garbage on radio nowadays? You better believe it. LUCKILY, I listen to nearly every genre of music...and notice that rock artists often have EVEN WORSE misogynistic themes and/or profanity in their lyrics. If Sharpton cares so much, I'd like to see him work on the radio industry...and tell-lie-vision...and his barber.

Fa sho...

Andrew The Asshole said...

I'm really tired of Al "perm" sharpton. He has done alot of good, but times have changed and would like to see a new face on black leadership... I'm voting for Ced

CapCity said...

no comment - just a question: Ced, why does your link to my blog go to a specific post instead of my home page, like it used to?

Mizrepresent said...

Ditto what Rich said! Hey ced!

Unknown said...

Andrew: Thanks but no thanks! I say let people speak for themselves so that they can hear the echoes across the land of the very same feelings. Changes happen when people feel the strength of their individual voices through group action. Just my outlook...

Cap: You know, I've been wondering the same thing! I've never changed that link so it should always reach the same destination. I blame the devil aka Dick Cheney.

MizR: Hey, beautiful! How have you been?

Andrew The Asshole said...

yeah people will change when the pain of staying the same is strong enough to cause action.

Unknown said...

Pain CAN motivate change...or cause insanity...

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

Damn! Why they gotta do it HERE?

Unknown said...

S68, THAT is the question of the year!