Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Brand-New Old Gifts


Have you ever listened to an old favorite song again and found something new and exciting (shout-out to Morris Day) in the words or the melody? A vocal run, a drumset roll, a guitar riff, or a piano stroll that blew your mind, perhaps? I am listening to an album that made no sense to me when I was a youngster, and God knows that I am finding nuances and textures in it that my tender ears missed years ago. Stevie Wonder's JOURNEY THROUGH THE SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS has me wide awake right now (sorry, Sweet) and amazed. The term "genius" is often overused and oversimplified in our world of short attention spans and even shorter vocabulary, but Mr. Wonder (he could be my pops, after all) EARNED that label.

Do yourself a favor: pick it up, download it, or borrow it from a music lover who trusts you (and won't break your kneecaps if you get too attached to the "gift" and keep the music). PLANTS may just change your musical tastes; you have been warned.


No comments: