Thursday, March 22, 2007

Blocked Medium

Every writer feels it at some point in the writing life: writer's block. Constipation is more like it! You push and force and prod and pray and dig DOWN DEEP into your gut to move something out...and hurt. Nothing hurts a writer more than the inability to let words flow with ease and a painless exit. IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE EASY--so what do you do when the words fail to move from your mind to the page?

I'll buy the person who can answer a favorite drink and an ice cream cone.


8 comments:

CapCity said...

well, i know i'm going to get my free drink anyway - not worried about that! keep the ice cream cone for those li'l girls who chase after u. LOL!
WHO told u this writing was "supposed" to be easy? Some write easily & some put forth greater effort. For me - it has gotten easier since i gave up working for the psychos here in nyc AND now that i write daily. i guess it's true - the more u work a muscle the stronger it gets:-). but u need rest, too!

Unknown said...

Perhaps THE LACK OF REST is my major brain-shaker! Little girls are referred to my youngest brother's temp agency: STICK-N-MOVE, Inc.

Celia said...

Usually free association works for me. I just write whatever randomness comes into my head till I find what I really want to say.

Unknown said...

Free association works TO A DEGREE for me. My mind has been slightly altered by military life so structure invades my "freestyle" thought. Thanks for the suggestion, and it's nice to "meet" you.

Sheletha said...

it doesn't take much to keep me happy...im here to keep from working.

Unknown said...

Sheletha, do I need to crack a whip?

Rich Fitzgerald said...

I just stay before the paper. If nothing comes after a while, I'm trying too hard. I stick a pen in it and come back later. That gives me time to process.

Cortney Gee and The Celebrity Cane Corsos said...

i go to sleep and wake up hoping that one of my dreams inspire me ... if not I just sit in front of this computer puffin a cigar until something does