Wednesday, April 23, 2008

NEW MUSIC!

The Roots make me happy musically. In a world of cookie-cutter, play-by-numbers rhymers and cut-and-paste sample-heavy "producers" (no more hyphens-- I PROMISE), the Roots are master musicians fronted by a LY-RI-CIST (oops... my bad) named Black Thought, musicians who grab every conceivable sound in their aural space and create something new and simultaneously old every time they enter a studio. God, they keep me hopeful about the state of hip hop. Enjoy something new from their upcoming project, RISING DOWN, due to hit shelves April 29, 2008. As the young cats say now, "Jig, kid."



----------------
Now playing: honeysoul.com - Conversation with Daru & Rena
via FoxyTunes

10 comments:

CapCity said...

I THINK DIS HERE IZ DA JAM of SUMMER 08, BAYBEEEE!!! whatchu mean NOT QUITE go-go? Dat was DEEPLY fused go-go dere, Bruh (u hear dat Trouble & Rare Essence reference;-)! LOL! I.LUV.Da.ROOTS! Now, if we can get a Roots/JillScott/Chrisette concert it would be ON lak POPCO'N!

Yesssss! this tune made me VERY HAPPY! Thanx for hipping me, Bruh NewCed:-)

Unknown said...

"Not quite go-go" was ?uestlove's missive on the song when he posted the audio on Okayplayerlast week. I thought you'd get some nuances from it that I'd miss! Thanks for confirming the Rare Essence touch I felt! THAT show would be the ONE!

CapCity said...

Not saying that it was the R.E. touch - don't wanna start no Go-Go wars;-) -- but R.E. & trouble were referenced in the lyrics;-). Now, I gotta go research Wale...thanx for the okayplayer info., too. Oh, yea - put Wale on that Roots/Jill/Chrisette tour, too! LOL!

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

thats a funky cut

Unknown said...

Cap, you'll be happy to know that Wale is a DC cat!

TS, you couldn't be more right if you turned left twice!

Rich Fitzgerald said...

Man, I love coming by your spot. I always get something new and delectable and your range is magnificient. I'm still tweeking off that Nina Simone, and I love The Roots. I've been digging them since they were saying...i shall, proceed, and continue, to rock the mic.

indeed. they did it again.

CapCity said...

Oh u know i had to research/google Wale, Brother Ced;-). I have to ask my eldest nephew about him - they're about the same age...

Unknown said...

Rich, that CD is crazy! It's a must-have for the hip hop head!

Cap, does your nephew like young Wale?

Shai said...

I attended an intimate concert Chrisette had this past fall here in Detroit. She sounds exactly like her CD. I love her CD.

Unknown said...

Hey, Shai! I'm glad to know that beautiful Ms. Michele has a great live show. How have you been lately?