Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Fire THIS Time



Seven counties in Southern California and Baja California are aflame in an elemental cauldron. Hot temperatures and Santa Ana winds--dry, hot winds that wick moisture from the air and often set the final condition for natural fires-- have spawned firefighters' nightmares come to life. Despite the valiant efforts of firefighting teams from local fire stations, volunteer fire personnel, and neighboring firefighters from other parts of California and neighboring states, nearly 800,000 acres are charred, skeletal remains of formerly beautiful expanses of national forest and evacuated residential areas.

At this moment, news reports speak great news of a lull in the high-speed winds that swept flames uncontrollably over freeways and valleys, across mountain ranges, and through cities. Brave firefighters are drawing every ounce of personal determination and time-worn experience they can utilize to prevent the spread of this giant force of nature. Lessons learned in 2003 during the Cedar fires, in which thousands of acres of land, homes and city buildings were destroyed and many human lives lost, helped local public services to work quickly and jointly to evacuate residents from endangered areas and minimize the loss of lives (Two people are reported dead presently.). Still, injuries among firefighters are increasing, and relief efforts are surging to meet the needs of thousands of displaced residents around Southern California.

Government action has moved at record speed. Governor Schwarzenegger (Rep.-CA) declared a state of emergency shortly following reports of the disastrous fires (3 large wildfires and several smaller but still dangerous fires), and President Bush has announced that federal aid and personnel assistance are at the state's beck and call. FEMA representatives are currently cutting through the usual red tape to avail the fire-ravaged areas with all the aid that they can handle.

Thank God this disaster happened a year before a major election. Perhaps the federal and state governments in California, where I now live, will NOT fail the people here in Southern California as the Fed and the powers that rule in Louisiana failed my people. Perhaps...

I shall wait with baited breath and guarded cynicism.

Meanwhile, my prayers are with every soul who has run from home and comfort with family and animals in tow to avoid possible fiery destruction. As for me, I sit safely in my apartment congested from breathing trace ash in the air and nursing the woman I love who is suffering slightly more than I. We are safely planted within the safety of home roughly two miles from Qualcomm Stadium, where thousands have been gathered away from risk zones and flame-engulfed areas for nearly two days. So far none of our friends have been forced from their homes. So far...and I pray they remain safe and relaxed in their own digs.

7 comments:

oronde ash said...

God be with you, brother. i can't imagine. i'm sure they're doing all they can but what are the chances of the flames getting closer your way?

dc_speaks said...

I am glad that for now you are out of harm's way. I'm told the winds are making it easier for firefighting efforts.

the old hymn did say"It's gonna rain, it's gonna rain, you'd better get ready..bear this in mind. God showed Noah the rainbow sign...it won't water, but fire next time"

I am glad your straight though, my friend

Rich Fitzgerald said...

yeah, glad you are safe my brother. I have relatives there. One was evacuated, the rest have fire close by, but they all are doing fine.

CapCity said...

WHAT!? I did not realize u were close enough to even breath that stuff. I'm glad you all are safe. I'm on internet "punishment" - so, i don't allow myself to come online as much. But, u know i always have to peek in on U!

Hugz!

Unknown said...

Thanks, my friends. I was in a safe zone thanks to our placement. Coastal winds fought off the Santa Ana winds that were drying the area so miserably, and the fires were stemmed above and east of us. From the most recent news I've heard I've learned that most of my local area was fine. San Diego's outskirts and outlying suburbs sustained the worst damage. The city proper seems untouched except for the ash layer...and that is clearing well. The smoke smell in the air is dwindling. My concern is for the upper San Diego County areas and lower Orange County residents. Fires are still raging.

Rich, how are your family members here? Any word yet?

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

man, im out here and cant see no smoke, can u say wag the dog - jus jokin

Unknown said...

LOL! What?! Are you out West right now, TS?