Friday, September 7, 2007

Brand NEW Brand New Funk

I hear heads asking the occasional question, "What ever happened to DJ Jazzy Jeff after Will Smith went Hollywood?" I'm glad to know that the answer is easily found in Philadelphia. Jazzy and his Hidden Beach label have been doing some great projects above the radar (can you say JILL SCOTT?) and below it (mixtapes, club performances, and more jobs than a Jamaican on IN LIVING COLOR). The jury is still out discussing this recent video I found online--I don't feel very comfortable with this version of the old song--but the jury is NOT the authority I seek to question right now. What do you think about it?



----------------
Now playing: IndieFeed.com community - Decay - Soul Blast
via FoxyTunes

6 comments:

CapCity said...

This jury member LOVED it! I love jazzy jeff ANYway! i also hear that he & will haven't parted ways - will just does more movies while jazzy jeff is the music MAN!!

this also bought back the memories of the record trucks that used to roll thru our hood! 'bought my first 45 off a truck - Tower of Power's What is HIP? I STILL love that song. LOL!

Unknown said...

Record trucks? Wow--I think the Wayne Williams LIE (I never believed that the brotha was the serial child molester and killer that Georgia law enforcement and politicians declared him.) took any possibility of a record truck in my city. We always had the local barbershops/beauty shops and a few neighborhood bootleggers who had that covered. I'm glad to hear that you dug the new music--the original is one of my favorites! Will's and Jeff's relationship has lasted for years and shines through many different projects (Will makes cameos on many of Jeff's projects--speaking parts, mainly), and I love that. Black people stick together more often than we fall apart, world!

Saadia said...

Hi, Ced!! Great post as always. Love that you linked to Sojourner's poem...it's brilliant!

Rich Fitzgerald said...

Jazzy is and always will be Classic Hip Hop. Brand New Funk is timeless.

Anonymous said...

I was actually wondering what happened to the dude! Thanks for the update!

Unknown said...

GG aka Infamous Hot Tee Wearer! Glad you stopped by...and you're right! Sojourner floored me with that piece!

Rich aka William Fences (eff a Bill Gates!)! Jazzy IS that style definer in hip hop...and when are YOU going to drop another freestyle on your blog?

BC, welcome to the village! I like the Dana Dane tribute in the name! Like you, I love to hear that my musical favorites are still doing their thing well. Hip hop was branded the "new jazz" by Dizzy Gillespie back in the late 80's for a reason: good music never stops!