Tuesday, September 16, 2008

For My Writers: The Truth Hurts--Until It Heals


Scott Berkun toppled a much-abused lie that I have told myself more than once in my time, a lie that cripples the hopes of many would-be writers and scholars on this planet--writer's block. In case you've never read his blog, enjoy this quick blessing:
I promise you, the first draft of Strunk and White didn’t follow Strunk and White. The secret, if you can’t start, is to begin without constraints. Deliberately write badly, but write.

For this reason writer’s block is a sham. Anyone who wrote yesterday can write today, it’s just a question of if they can do it to their own satisfaction. It’s not the fear of writing that blocks people, it’s fear of not writing well; something quite different. Certainly every writer has moments of paralysis, but the way out is to properly frame what’s going on, and writer’s block, as commonly misunderstood, is a red herring.

Simple and razor-sharp, isn't it? Let every dreamer who feels fearful when the pen or pencil tip touches paper or when the cursor blinks longingly from the computer screen drop his or her fear in the nearest wastebasket--and WRITE.

Get to it! Time's a-wastin'!


**Image courtesy of JPG Photography

8 comments:

Still Patrice said...

just start writing? hmmm just start!

Unknown said...

I take this as a God-given passdown--since CapCity said pretty much the same thing to me a month ago in conversation! If it's in you, write it. You may just find a buried treasure lurking within your core.

Besides, you can always use a good editor to tidy up the final product...

CapCity said...

Write ON, Bruh;-)

Unknown said...

Thanks, lady. In case you don't remember, YOU gave me the same lesson in one of our conversations. Teach ON, sistah! :-)

ruthibel said...

This was fantastic!! Love it, love it, love it!!

Unknown said...

Much obliged, Ruthibelle.

achoiceofweapons said...

Dig, you gotta read Stephen Kings On writing. Stop by
Jaycee

Unknown said...

I need to finish it! I started reading it online, lost connection, and forgot to return to it after I returned to Scribd.com.