Monday, May 14, 2007

Something About Mother's Day...



I remember a time when my mother could have sung this song to my father. Richard--the name of a king--spent most of his adult life showing himself an emotional pauper. His relationship with my mother deteriorated years ago to the point that she decided to think of him as a silly younger brother so that she could "keep from hurting him." Did he learn from the almost poetic sadness of Mom's decision? No, he did not. In fact, he continued to have horribly wrecked relationships (including a marriage that blessed me with Nicole and Nicholas aka "Twin Terrors"--my youngest brother and sister) until he died at the ripe old age of 38.

That was not a typo. My father ascended (or descended, if you know his life's uglier moments and feel the negatives outweighed the positives) from this Earth one month after his 38th birthday. He was a man who could make a grand and entertaining entrance to any affair, and his exit was no less shocking: a simultaneous heart attack and massive stroke killed him before he landed on the kitchen floor face-down and alone. The pain he felt at the onset of the two-fold life-robbing attack was etched on his face; my last sight of him was a picture of his suffering (Funerals don't count. There, you see the mortician's handiwork alone; your loved one is replaced by a re-creation of the former masked in cake makeup and massaged facial features.). He was gone, and I was left holding his memory and all the anger of his sudden departure.

Mother's Day was beautiful. Father's Day is ahead. My thoughts will pass. Hmm...then what?

9 comments:

JustMeWriting said...

WOW...just wow...that's about all I can say.

Unknown said...

Beautiful JMW, you took the words right from my mouth. I guess that had to come out. My INTENT was to write something that spoke of my love for my mother...and a side of the thought expressed itself.

Mizrepresent said...

I'm with JMW! 38, is such a young age...man i'm way past that and have no thoughts about death...at least not too soon! Great post! I will be around for Father's Day!

Sheletha said...

speechless...

CapCity said...

Ced...all I can say is I'm SO glad you're blogging = expressing yourself where I can read it. Our conversations can't cover everything that is floating around in our heads & experiences. I thank The Creator that your parents joined when they did & here U are with us!

Unknown said...

A thousand thank-yous, Cap!

Sheletha...I appreciate your attention and ability to say with one word what most would say in an essay.

MizR, thanks...and I hope to see several decades of Father's Day celebrations!

Rich Fitzgerald said...

Deep my brother, Deep.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Rich.

Jacqueline said...

I know I'm REALLY late, but I just found this blog and you... This is profound; makes me chuckle at times and then want to weep...
Still catchin' up
Blessings